This page holds information about UVA borrowing. If you are looking for information about UVA lending materials to other institutions, click here to visit the lending department.
We borrow materials not owned by the UVA Library from libraries worldwide for University of Virginia faculty, students, and staff. Materials that you may borrow from other libraries include articles, books, dissertations, government documents, technical reports, patents, and newspapers on microform. In some cases, videos and sound recordings are also available.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for tips and tricks on making requests.
- Sign in to your VIRGO account using your Netbadge credentials. You will be prompted to create an account if this is your first use. (Check out our tutorial for step-by-step instructions.)
- From My Account, select the Requests option then choose the appropriate request type from the Make a New Request section. Fill in as much information as you have available to ensure we borrow the correct item. (Be sure to hit the Submit button at the bottom.)
- Loan requests are usually filled in 3-10 working days.
- Notice to Health Science Library users: The HSL Interlibrary Loan system operates separately from the UVA Library system. Please enter the HSL ILLiad system here. If you need assistance, please contact the Health Science Library at (434) 924-5444.
*Please make sure the interlibrary loan book band stays on your item. These help us keep track of items and ensure they make it back to the right place!*
If you have any questions about setting up your account or placing requests, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to assist you.
Please wait until you receive a first Reminder Notice (one week before the Due Date) before requesting a renewal.
Do NOT request a renewal after receiving an Overdue Notice.
Do NOT request a renewal if the slip or label that came with the book says: “No Renewals”
To request a renewal:
- Check the label or slip that came with the item for “Renewals Allowed: Yes”
- If “Yes”, sign in to your Virgo account
- Under the ILL Checkouts tab, look for the item you wish to renew
- Click the “Renew” button of the item to renew (NOTE: If no “Renew” button appears, you may not renew that item)
- You will be redirected to your ILLiad account at this point. Click the “Renew Request” link for the item
Your loan will temporarily be extended one week, and ILL staff will be alerted to request a renewal from the lending library. Each lending library sets its own renewal policy.
If your Renewal is approved, you will be sent a new Due Date by email.
If your Renewal is refused, you will be sent an e-mail to return the book by the current Due Date. You may place a new request for the non-renewable item.
Access Services does not charge for Interlibrary loans. However, users are expected to pay any interlibrary loan charges over $40.00 that are imposed by another library. You will be notified before the transaction if this might be the case.
Delivery of material
All book chapters and articles will be delivered via e-mail in PDF format.
For delivery of loans, you must select a delivery location for each item. (The system does remember your last selection.) Faculty and graduate students eligible for departmental delivery, may select the “LEO delivery to my department” option. Undergraduates and staff may designate a pick-up library for delivery.
Anyone who is a registered SCPS/distance education patron should select “LEO delivery to my department” for their delivery option. (Your mailing to address information is saved in our internal system.)