Libra Data Deposit Checklist
Before Creating a New Libra Data Dataset
- Assess which data files you will include (you need to share) in the dataset. Keep in mind that Libra Data is for data that is ready to be shared and made available. It is not for working storage. Read more about submitting datasets to Libra Data here: http://www.library.virginia.edu/libra/datasets/
- If your data files are already shared through another open repository, you do not have to also upload the files to Libra Data. You can create a metadata-only dataset (no files attached) and include, as part of the dataset metadata, the URL and name of the repository where your files are.
- To prepare your data files for uploading, consider converting your files to non-proprietary format, if possible. Read more about file formatting issues here: http://data.library.virginia.edu/data-management/plan/format-types/
- Consider documentation for the files in your dataset. Create a readme file (see a template here: Readme file) to help others understand the contents of your dataset and the contents of specific files. Upload the readme file along with your data files.
Creating a New Dataset
- Have the Libra Data –Dataverse Guides web page open while you deposit your data: http://uvalib.github.io/dataverse-docs/
- Log in to Libra Data: https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu/ with your UVA Netbadge account (the Institution Log in box on the right side).
- Select the dataverse in which you want to add a dataset. You can create a dataset at the top level (UVA Dataverse) or in a sub-dataverse (e.g. Curry School of Education, Department of Biology, etc.).Currently available sub-dataverses are displayed near the top of the Libra Data home page; scroll to the left or right to see more. To request a sub-dataverse for your school, department, or center, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will set one up for you.
- Click on the “Add Data” button and select “New Dataset” in the dropdown menu.
- Fill in all the required fields (those marked with a red asterisk):
- Author (can add more than one author)
- Contact (can add more than one contact)
- Dataset Description (abstract)
- Subject (can add more than one subject)
- Data Production Date (Date when the data collection or other materials were produced–NOT distributed, published or deposited).
- Fill in any additional metadata fields your dataset needs. NOTE: You can come back and add additional metadata once you have completed the initial dataset creation (but before it’s published). (See Additional Metadata section below).
- If you are creating a metadata-only dataset because your data files are already available through another open repository, fill out the fields: Repository Name and URL of your dataset/files. You do not have to upload any files for metadata-only datasets. Skip to step 10.
- To add your files, scroll down to the “Files” section and click on “Select Files to Add”. Tip: You can drag and drop or select multiple files at a time from your desktop, directly into the upload area. Your files will appear below the “Select Files to Add” button. NOTE: You can come back and add additional files once you have completed the initial dataset creation. (See Upload [Additional] Files section below).
- You can change your filename, add a description and tags (via the “Edit Tags” button) for each file.
- Click the “Save Dataset” button when you are done. Your unpublished dataset is now created.
- Review your draft/unpublished dataset. The “Files” tab displays the files you have uploaded. The “Metadata” tab displays the metadata. If you need to add more files, delete files or modify metadata, see the Libra Data Dataverse User Guide for Editing a Dataset.
- If you have uploaded ALL the files and have filled out ALL the metadata you need for your dataset, you can PUBLISH your dataset (see Publish a Dataset section below). If you haven’t finished adding files or completed your metadata, you can return later and PUBLISH your dataset.
Go to your dataset to edit. Go the metadata tab. Select “Add + Edit Metadata”. Fill in any additional fields and click “Save Changes”.
Upload [Additional] Files
Publish a Dataset
When you publish a dataset you make it available to the public so that other users can browse or search for it. Once your dataset is ready to go public, go to your dataset page and click on the “Publish” button on the right hand side of the page. A pop-up will appear (see text below) to confirm that you are ready to actually publish and that you have met all licenses, policy and other data agreements.
By clicking Continue you affirm that you have met all licenses, policy and other data agreements:
- You have the legal right and authorization to make the data publicly available online world-wide through Libra
- In preparing the data for public archiving and distribution, you have removed any confidential or sensitive information, student education records protected under FERPA, and all information that personally identifies any individual or that contains any information classified as highly sensitive under state or federal law, or UVA policy.
- If the submission is based upon work that has been sponsored or supported by an agency or organization other than UVA such as the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, or a private sponsor or funder, you represent that you have fulfilled any right of review, confidentiality, or other obligations required by that contract or agreement.
- You represent that you have made a reasonable effort to ensure that the data contained in your submission is accurate.
- You represent that you have appropriately acknowledged other researchers whose work contributed to the data.
NOTE: Once a dataset is made public it can no longer be unpublished.