Publishing and open access
The UVA Library is committed to supporting the broad, diverse needs of our community of scholars, teachers, and learners, and doing so sustainably. Learn more about Sustainable Scholarship >
The Library offers the following tools to assist with academic publishing:
- Aperio - UVA's peer-reviewed open access press accepts proposals from UVA faculty, staff, and students.
- Libra - UVA’s institutional repository of open scholarship created by the University community. This online archive provides a central, stable location for scholarly output of all kinds.
- LibraOpen: Open articles, books, and other creative works
- LibraETD: Theses and dissertations
- LibraData: Datasets, software, and other research material
- Affordability and Equity grant program - Provides support to faculty who want to create open educational resources (OER).
- Pressbooks - Online software that enables authors and publishers to design and format any kind of book.
Open access publishing opportunities through the UVA Library
Open access research articles are made available for free online, usually with a license that permits free reuse by the public. The open access publishing opportunities below are offered to members of the University community through subsidies provided by the University Library and VIVA (Virginian’s library consortium). To qualify for these programs, a University-affiliated person must be listed as the corresponding author. For help identifying other opportunities, contact a subject liaison.
ACM (Association of Computing Machinery)
Open access article processing charges for all Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) journals, magazines, and proceedings are covered by VIVA (Virginia's academic library consortium) through December 31, 2024.
This arrangement does not include books or book chapters.
Cambridge University Press
Includes coverage of publishing fees for open access articles published in certain fully open access journals or subscription journals with an open access option (hybrid journals) through December 31, 2024.
CUP’s Open Access waiver web site includes a list of eligible journal titles.
Provided through the Library’s subscription.
Open Library of the Humanities
OLH journals have no author fees. Publishing costs are underwritten by financial support from participating institutions, including the University of Virginia Library.
Rockefeller University Press
Article processing charges for articles published in Rockefeller University Press (RUP) hybrid journals are covered by VIVA (Virginia's academic library consortium) until December 31, 2023.
Journal titles: Journal of Cell Biology (JCB), Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM), and Journal of General Physiology (JGP). To qualify, the article must be accepted for publication by December 31, 2023.
Royal Society of Chemistry
Article processing charges for a certain number of articles published in Royal Society of Chemistry journals. The number of articles is based on the total number of articles published in RSC journals in the preceding year. Provided by the Library through our subscription.
Article processing charges for fully open access Wiley journals and subscription journals with an open access option (hybrid journals) are covered by VIVA (Virginia’s academic library consortium) until December 31, 2024.
Writing and legal support
- ORCID at UVA - A unique researcher identifier, used worldwide, that you can keep throughout your life and retain even if you move institutions.
- Research Sprints - Can provide substantial support for new or ongoing writing projects like a literature review, project proposal, or journal creation.
- Citation management software
- Writing help: APA Style
Permissions and copyright