There are no active alerts at this time.
In the event of an emergency, this page will be updated with information about any changes to Library hours and services.
NEED HELP? Call 911 or view a list of on-call emergency phone numbers.
Inclement Weather Policy
Please note that in extreme cases such as blizzard conditions, power outages, high winds, or any other situations in which the Library deems conditions unsafe for employees and/or patrons, libraries may be closed.
If the University closes due to inclement weather, unless otherwise indicated above, Clemons Library will remain open on an abbreviated schedule, but other libraries will be closed.
- If classes are in session: Clemons will be open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- If classes are not in session (“intersession,” such as Winter Break or Spring Break): Clemons will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Darden, Health Sciences, and Law libraries set hours independently. Check their websites and/or call to confirm their inclement weather schedules.
- Inclement weather schedules may differ under certain circumstances such as early closures or delayed openings.
On-call Emergency Phone Numbers (download PDF)
- Public Safety: University of VA Police Dept.
- (434) 924-7166
- EMERGENCY: 911
Office of the Dean of Students
The Office of the Dean of Students provides 24-hour crisis management and incident response services to University students.
- Dean on-call (M-F 8:00am to 5:00pm)
- (434) 924-7133
- University Police Department (after hours)
- (434) 924-7166 - request the Dean on-call
- Incident Reporting & Safety
Office of Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- (434) 982-0565
- Marge Sidebottom, Director
- (434) 924-8745
- John DeSilva, Assistant Director
Housing and Residence Life
- (434) 924-3736
Emergency Library Contacts
- John Unsworth, Dean of Libraries
- (217) 390-2043 (C)
- (434) 924-7849
- Guy Mengel, Director of Library Security
- (434) 243-8783