The University of Virginia Library seeks to provide all patrons with a welcoming, productive, and safe environment. We are committed to providing equitable access to our collections as well as to library services. The Library offers a variety of services and equipment in support of research and academic endeavors for all regardless of physical or cognitive ability.
- Get Help from the Library
- Types of Help Available from the Library
- Help for UVA Staff Captioning Videos – Media Accessibility Resources
- Assistive Technologies
- Other Accessibility Resources on Grounds
Get Help from the Library
If you have an immediate accessibility issue in a library space or with a library service:
- Call an individual library, use our Ask a Librarian services, or call our general number 434-924-3021.
For non-urgent accessibility requests in a library or on Grounds:
- Submit an issue to UVA’s Report a Barrier service.
- Barriers may include things such as an inaccessible UVA website, an inoperative elevator, a blocked access ramp, the need for a curb cut, or other lack of access to an event or program.
- Note: This service is managed by UVA’s Coordinator of Academic Accessibility.
To plan a library visit:
- Contact Todd Burks, Library Accessibility Coordinator.
- Office phone: 434-924-3162
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consult UVA’s Accessible Parking, Transportation, and Routes and Accessibility Maps
If you experience accessibility problems with the Library website:
- Submit a description of the issue by using the “Site Feedback” or “Virgo Feedback” links at the bottom of our webpages.
Types of Help Available from the Library
Don’t hesitate to contact Library staff with any questions you may have. Depending on individual needs, staff are ready to help users with special accessibility concerns.
For most inquiries, including research questions and general library help, ask library staff using our Ask a Librarian services.
Some ways in which we can help include:
- Retrieving books in the stacks
- For users with physical limitations
- Ordering materials in large print and special formats via Interlibrary Loan
- Digitizing research and course materials
- Advance notice required
- Event accommodations
- Contact the Library Events Team
- Specialized study arrangements
Help for UVA Staff Captioning Videos
Media Accessibility Resources
The Library is a contact point for finding Media Accessibility Resources such as those listed below. We can direct you to appropriate resources for creating accessible media, but we do not currently provide other services in this area.
- Learn when you need to caption and transcribe media and provide a video description
- Find UVA approved vendors who can caption existing media
- Get information about federal and Virginia state laws regarding accessibility and media
- Download the UVA Captioning Cheat Sheet
For more information, contact Leigh Rockey, Media Collections Librarian, at email@example.com.
The following is a brief list of assistive technologies that can be found in our libraries. Individual library locations may provide additional assistance.
- Read & Write software
All UVA public Windows computers
- Sorenson VideoPhone for ASL communication
- Topaz desktop video magnifiers
Alderman | Charles L. Brown Science and Engineering | Clemons | Fiske Kimball Fine Arts | Music
- Bookeye 4 Scanner (converts text to computer voice audio file)