About Library Scanning Services
The U.Va. Library offers scanning services for instruction and for self-service scanning.
Also see information on services for digitization of special collections, video clips and other formats.
Scanning Documents for Instruction (Faculty and Instructors Only)
- Instructional Scanning Services (ISS) provides assistance to faculty members by scanning course-related materials, then sending instructors a link to the materials for use on their UVaCollab sites as appropriate. ISS also scans materials for other instructional uses.
- The University Library provides users with machines for self-service scanning in the Alderman, Clemons, Charles L. Brown Science and Engineering Library, Fine Arts, Physics, Chemistry and Music libraries.
- The largest dimension scanner available for public use is 11 x 17 inches.
- See staff at the help desks in each library for scanning assistance.
Special Notes about Self-Service Scanning
- The Scholars’ Lab in Alderman Library offers self-service scanning for U.Va.-affiliated persons who would like to digitize text or images. Software and equipment is available for OCR and scanning high-resolution images.
- The Government Documents unit on the 3rd floor of Alderman Library provides equipment for scanning microfilm and microfiche.
- The Robertson Media Center on the 3rd floor of Clemons Library provides self-service access to scanners that can digitize various non-print media formats such as video tape, 8 mm and 16 mm film, small and medium format film negatives, slides, and audio.
- Staff in the Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library can advise users on scanning, manipulating, and preserving their images. Photoshop and Epson scanning software is available on 4 Apple computers in the Faculty R-Lab. Each computer is equipped to digitize film negatives, slides, and documents up to 11 x 17 inches.
- The Music Library provides access to equipment for scanning documents up to 11 x 17 inches, as well as microfilm and microfiche.
- The Health Sciences Library offers self-service scanning for slides, and a large-format scanner with a transparency unit that can digitize x-ray film. Please visit their page on scanning for more information.