Before You Apply: Data Purchase Program
UVA Library invites UVA-affiliated researchers to apply to our Data Purchase Program. Awards are directed at smaller research needs (around $1,000 to $5,000). However, the total amount available will depend on the number of applications and the potential overall impact on UVA’s research mission.
Application and Decision Making Timeline:
- Applications may be submitted biannually, by October 15 and February 15 of each year.
- The Library will announce awards 2 weeks after the application deadline (i.e., November 1 or March 1).
- The Library will order data as soon as possible after the announcement of awards, with anticipated availability of data about 2 months after award announcement (i.e., January 1 or May 1).
- Typically the Library can allocate $5,000 for a research data acquisition of demonstrated value to multiple researchers, and $1,000 for research data of value to a single researcher. In order to maximize impact, we strive to build a data collection useful to the largest number of people, and preference will be given to data requests that meet that requirement.
- We highly encourage researchers to consider the value of the data to the widest number of UVA affiliates by specifically identifying other UVA researchers, centers, departments, or schools that have a demonstrated interest in the data.
- Access should not be restricted by school or department if purchased by UVA Library.
- “Single user” datasets will not be purchased (e.g., iTunes model). That is, if only a single user (or project team) can use the dataset based on restrictive license terms or technical requirements, we cannot purchase the data.
- If the data are only available for license rather than purchase, the Library will license the data for the first year. We will strive to continue the license beyond the first year, but cannot guarantee its extension.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not received funding through the Data Purchase Program in the past.
- Please see the Data Collection Development Policy for the full scope of what data UVA Library will consider.
Examples of Recent Data Purchases:
- 2016 Dave Leip Election Data
- 2016 InfoGroup Historical Business Data
- Cross-National Time-Series Archive
Acknowledgement of Support:
- Publications based on data purchased must contain the following acknowledgment: “The author wishes to acknowledge the University of Virginia Library, which provided funding for the data used in this research.”
- Contact Jennifer Huck, Data Librarian, at email@example.com.