Library Computer Hardware & Software
- The libraries have a very limited number of public computer workstations available in each location, with some restricted to short-term Virgo use only.
- Public computers contain a variety of research software packages. ITS maintains a list of Windows software installed on Library and ITS lab PCs.
Using Laptops & Mobile Devices in the Libraries
- Library users are strongly encouraged to bring their personal laptops or mobile devices to the library to do their work.
- Several libraries have basic laptop accessories like power strips and locks available. Alderman, Brown, and Clemons Libraries have charging lockers for laptops and mobile devices.
- Clemons Library has keyboards, mice, thumb drives, and large external monitors.
- Alderman Library has the following laptop & mobile phone chargers:
- Apple MacBook Laptop Power Adapter
- Dell Laptop Power Adapter
- Apple Lightning Charger (iPhone & iPad)
- Micro USB Charger (Motorola, LG, Samsung, Nokia and others)
Connecting a Laptop to the UVA Network
Faculty, Students and Staff
- To connect to cavalier, UVA’s encrypted wireless network, follow the instructions provided by ITS.
- For further information about the U.Va. wireless network see the ITS Wireless homepage.
- You can also connect your laptop to the University’s wired network with an ethernet card.
- A note to UVA Retirees: Some Library access privileges can remain after retirement. Find out more.
- Guests of the University can obtain a temporary passcode to connect to U.Va.’s unencrypted wireless network.
- This passcode can be obtained from the service desks in Alderman, Clemons, and Brown Science & Engineering libraries.
- You will need to show a photo ID and provide your name and e-mail address at the time the passcode is issued.
- The passcode is valid for 28 days; when it expires, you will need to request a new one.
Problems Using Your Laptop or Computing Device in the Library
Please call the ITS Help Desk at 434-924-4357 for technical assistance.