About Video Description
Video description (also know as descriptive video or audio description) is provided for those who are blind or visually impaired. It offers additional audio about activities on screen that are essential to understanding the overall content. This added audio is inserted during pauses in the regular audio content.
In the classroom setting, it might be valuable to include video description in a video of a science experiment to ensure that a blind or visually impaired student can fully grasp the concepts being discussed.
Learn more about video description
- More information on descriptive video from WGBH
- Vendor samples of audio described video*
- Additional samples of audio described video*
- The Audio Description Project – Interview and movie samples
- The Audio Description Project – Homepage
How to add video descriptions
- Online course from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- YouDescribe – Adding video descriptions to YouTube content
*Currently no vendors are under University agreement for this service. Linking to these samples does not constitute endorsement of the vendor providing the samples.