Instructional Scanning Services (ISS) provides assistance to faculty members by scanning and uploading course related materials to the Instructor’s UVaCollab webpage as additional readings. ISS also provides articles and book excerpts from electronic databases and e-books available through the library catalog (VIRGO).
The services of Instructional Scanning are intended to support learning, teaching, research, and scholarship and are offered only to University of Virginia graduate instructors, faculty and staff. Interlibrary loans involve expenditure of state and university funds. The Library reserves the right to review patron requests for ILL services and to decline such requests at the Library’s sole discretion. As is the case with all other Library services, patrons are expected to comply with copyright in their use of materials obtained through Interlibrary Loan.
Contact us at: Phone: 434-924-0941 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria for UVaCollab Requests
- Materials are for instructional use.
- Material conversion is time-sensitive, i.e., the materials need to be delivered for instruction within a specific timeframe.
- Material is less than 100 pages.
- Material meets the Fair Use Guidelines under the U.S. copyright law (Title 17, United States Code), or copyright permission has been obtained by the instructor.
- From the UVa Collab welcom page, click Library Scanning. At the next page click Instructional Scanning Request Form. Or you may log on to the Interlibrary Services Web Request System. First-time users must create an account first. After setting up your account, you will be able to request and track the process of all your Interlibrary Services requests.
- Choose the Scan (PDF) Collab option from the Main Menu. Fill in all required information and click on the “Submit Request” button.
- You will receive an e-mail when your document is available on your UVaCollab website. The files will be in My Workspace in the Resources section. Articles will be in PDF format.
- Track the progress of all your UVaCollab materials, by logging on to the Interlibrary Services Web Request System and view “All Requests” for your account.
Deliver Course Materials to Our Office
If you have the materials in hand:
- deliver them to Instructional Scanning Services in Alderman Library, Room 107
- or, take to your home library and ask that the materials be sent to ISS, PO Box 400109
Understanding Copyright in Course Reserves
All classroom materials are provided to students within a password-protected course environment for research and classroom instruction only. Copyright law forbids redistribution of scanned course materials unless permission from the copyright holder has been obtained, the work is out of copyright, or a careful fair use analysis has been undertaken. Faculty members are personally responsible under University policy for respecting copyright, including their delivery of materials to students through course reserves.