This page holds information about UVA borrowing. If you are looking for information about UVA lending materials to other institutions, click here to visit the Lending department.
We borrow materials not owned by U.Va. Libraries from libraries worldwide for University of Virginia faculty, students and staff. Materials that you may borrow from other libraries include articles, books, dissertations, government documents, technical reports, patents and newspapers on microform. In some cases videos and sound recordings are also available.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for tips and tricks on making requests.
- First-time users, please visit our sign in page to set up an account. After setting up your account, you will be able to request and track the process of all your Interlibrary Services requests.
- Logon to your ILS account and choose the appropriate Request Type from the menu on the left side of the page. Fill in as much information as you have available to ensure we borrow the correct item.
- Requests are usually filled in 3-10 working days.
Please wait until you receive a first Reminder Notice (one week before the Due Date) before requesting a renewal.
Do NOT request a renewal after receiving an Overdue Notice.
Do NOT request a renewal if the slip or label that came with the book says: “No Renewals”
To request a renewal:
- Check the label or slip that came with the item for “Renewals Allowed: Yes”
- If “Yes”, login to your ILS account
- Click “Renew an ILL Item” link in the Main Menu on the left
- Click the Transaction Number of the item to renew (NOTE: If no “Renew Request’ link appears, you may not renew)
- Click ‘Renew Request’
Your loan will temporarily be extended one week and ILL staff will be alerted to request a renewal from the lending library. Each lending library sets its own renewal policy.
If your Renewal is approved, you will be sent a new Due Date by email.
If your Renewal is refused, you will be sent an e-mail to return the book by the current Due Date. You may place a new request for the non-renewable item.
Interlibrary Services does not charge for Interlibrary loans. However, users are expected to pay any interlibrary loan charges over $40.00 that are imposed by another library. You will be notified before the transaction if this might be the case.
Delivery of Material
All articles will be delivered via e-mail in PDF format.
Faculty requests for materials will be delivered to the departments. Graduate students, undergraduates, and staff may designate a pick up library for delivery.