Libra Deposit License for Student Theses and Dissertations
Non-Exclusive Distribution License
To properly administer this repository and preserve the contents for future use, the University of Virginia (UVA) requires certain assurances and permissions from you, the depositor.
By clicking through this license, you warrant and represent the following:
- You have the legal right and authorization to make the data publicly available online world-wide through Libra.
- Please consider that UVA claims ownership rights to intellectual property, including data, generated with significant University resources. Please see the memo on Data Rights and Responsibilities Guidance for more information, or consult with the Office of the Vice President for Research for guidance as to whether you may make your data available through Libra.
- Please consider whether other researchers have rights to manage the release of this data, for example others involved with the grant, research activity, or laboratory, whether at UVA or at another institution. If the answer to this question is yes, you must obtain their permission to deposit the data in Libra.
- In preparing the data for public archiving and distribution, you have removed any confidential or sensitive information, student education records protected under FERPA, and all information that personally identifies any individual or that contains any information classified as highly sensitive under state or federal law, or UVA policy. For these purposes, highly sensitive data currently includes personal information that can lead to identity theft if exposed and health information that reveals an individual’s health condition and/or history of health services use.
- Personal information that, if exposed, can lead to identity theft. “Personal information” means the first name or first initial and last name in combination with and linked to any one or more of the following data elements about the individual:
- Social security number;
- Driver’s license number or state identification card number issued in lieu of a driver’s license number;
- Passport number; or
- Financial account number, or credit card or debit card number.
- Health information that, if exposed, can reveal an individual’s health condition and/or history of health services use. “Health information,” also known as “protected health information (PHI),” includes health records combined in any way with one or more of the following data elements about the individual:
- All geographic subdivisions smaller than a State, including street address, city, county, precinct, zip code, and their equivalent geocodes, except for the initial three digits of a zip code if, according to the current publicly available data from the Bureau of the Census the geographic unit formed by combining all zip codes with the same three initial digits contains more than 20,000 people, and the initial three digits of a zip code for all such geographic units containing 20,000 or fewer people is changed to 000;
- All elements of dates (except year) for dates directly related to an individual, including birth date, admission date, discharge date, date of death; and all ages over 89 and all elements of dates (including year) indicative of such age, except that such ages and elements may be aggregated into a single category of age 90 or older;
- Telephone numbers;
- Fax numbers;
- Electronic mail addresses;
- Social security numbers;
- Medical record numbers;
- Health plan beneficiary numbers;
- Account numbers;
- Certificate/license numbers;
- Vehicle identifiers and serial numbers, including license plate numbers;
- Device identifiers and serial numbers;
- Web Universal Resource Locators (URLs);
- Internet Protocol (IP) address numbers;
- Biometric identifiers, including finger and voice prints;
- Full face photographic images and any comparable images; and
- Any other unique identifying number, characteristic, or code
- You agree to indemnify, release and hold harmless UVA from any and all liability arising out of your deposit of data or other material into Libra.
- If the submission is based upon work that has been sponsored or supported by an agency or organization other than UVA such as the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, or a private sponsor or funder, you represent that you have fulfilled any right of review, confidentiality, or other obligations required by that contract or agreement.
- You represent that you have made a reasonable effort to ensure that the data contained in your submission is accurate.
- You represent that you have appropriately acknowledged other researchers whose work contributed to the data.
By clicking through this license, you grant to the University of Virginia the non-exclusive right to reproduce and/or distribute your submission (including the metadata and supporting documentation) worldwide, in any format or medium for non-commercial, research, educational, or related academic purposes only. You also authorize UVA to allow users of the repository to distribute your submission (including the metadata and supporting documentation) worldwide, in any format or medium for non-commercial, research, educational, or related academic purposes only. UVA will clearly identify your name(s) as the depositor(s) of the submission, and will not make any alteration, other than as allowed by this license, to your submission.
You agree that UVA may translate the submission to any medium or format and keep more than one copy for the purposes of security, back up and long-term preservation of the scholarly record.
By accepting this license, you do not give up any rights you hold to the data deposited. You do not give up the right to submit the data to other repositories or publish it.